J-4083 - Jonathon Whaley (stored, spares use), RAF St. Athan, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan
Hunter F.58 J-4083 at St. Athan, 12th August 2014; author
Built by Hawkers at Kingston-upon-Thames, J-4083 first flew on 11th November 1959 and was delivered to 5 Squadron of the Swiss Air Force on 14th January 1960. She served with 5, 18 and 21 Squadrons and by 1964 had been modified, in common with many Swiss Hunters, to carry both Sidewinder and Maverick missiles. She was withdrawn from service at the start of September 1994 and in June 1995 was flown from Emmen to Bournemouth to join the Jet Heritage fleet there. A complete strip-down and rebuild was begun, but with Jet Heritage's collapse the aircraft 'disappeared'. A snoop around the airfield at Hurn in late May 2000 found her stored in the open on a non-secure part of the airfield with many panels and the jetpipe open to the elements, though the canopy was covered and intakes blanked. She ended up being moved to the Bournemouth Aviation Museum compound, a little more secure, and was then acquired by Jonathon Whaley as a spares source for his F.58 "Miss Demeanour" in 2006. She moved to St. Athan in March 2012 and was finally removed from the UK civil register in August 2014, a remarkably long time after her last flight! Her uses as a spares ship has benefited more than just Miss Demeanour, with, for instance, her radar ending up in F.2 WN904 at Sywell!
Information on this page current as of 18/08/2014
Find other photos of J-4083 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net