XG254 - Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum, Flixton, Suffolk
Hunter FGA.9 XG254 at Flixton, May 2008; demobbed.org.uk
XG254 was built as an F.6, first flown on 1st November 1956 and served with 54(F) Squadron. She was converted to an FGA.9 and returned to the Squadron. Upon retirement she ended up dumped at RAF Coltishall and was at one point up for tender but when it was realised its manufacture had been partly funded by the USA under a mutual defence aid program, it was withdrawn and sat for several years on the dump there. In increasingly poor condition, it was likely to end up being scrapped as the Americans are quite unreasonable about the disposal of aircraft they helped to pay for - e.g. national museums only, no independent museum or private individual can buy them. So instead, most end up being scrapped - ludicrous. At one point XG254 was painted in 41 Squadron colours for a Families Day at Coltishall, but she ended up as a sorry sight, with panels missing, canopy off and a gutted cockpit. However the Americans were finally placated somehow and she was sold to Adrian Fuller, who has now moved her to the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, where she's been restored and put on display.
Information on this page current as of 28/09/2008
Find other photos of XG254 on the following sites:
Air-Britain - Airliners.net - Airplane-Pictures.net - flickr.com - WorldAirPics.com - JetPhotos.net - PlanePictures.net